What to expect at our Oakville chiropractic clinic!
We try to run our Oakville chiropractic clinic like a well oiled patient orientated machine. From our online paperwork, to our 9 completely private treating rooms we try to make the process as easy as possible for patients the minute they enter the clinic. We offer chiropractic appointment reminders via email or text to our patients and we try to respond back to patient in a timely matter. You can reach us by email, text or calling. We offer direct billing to patients insurance if their plan allows for it.
Unlike most medical clinics we do not run behind. Our Team of highly trained staff prides themselves on building schedules and keeping our patient visits friendly with little to wait times. Going to be a little late for your apointment, text us and let us know. This way we can keep the schedule running smoothly and value everyone time.
Chiropractic Initial Intake Paperwork and Booking
Nottinghill Family Wellness Centre offers our intake paperwork online. You can download it as a PDF and edit on your own computer or print the paperwork off and fill it our at home before you come in. Over the past 15 years we have streamlined our intake paperwork to 1 page so it shouldn’t take all day to complete. Fill the paperwork out at home and email it back to us before your first chiropractic appointment or just bring it in with you. If you do not have time to complete the paperwork before your first visit, we ask that you come in 15- 20 minutes before your appointment to fill out the paperwork and let everything run on time. You will receive a text/email reminder the day before your appointment, please send back a ‘C’ to confirm, this helps us run on time and keep track of our busy schedule. 6 hours before your appointment you will receive a COVID survey, fill it out and it automatically updates your file.
First Chiropractic Visit
Our clinic is located upstairs in unit 205, there are stairs and an elevator to get to the second level and our office is right by the stairs. There is ample free parking in the complex. When you arrive you will be greeted by one of our lovely front desk staff and asked if you have any private insurance you would like us to bill. Our staff will bill the coverage during your first visit to limit any or all out of pocket expense to you.
Laura or Steph will take you into a private chiropractic treating room for your assessment and examination. Dr. Steve and Dr. Jenn have been doing this job a long time and the assessments and examinations are pretty quick and do not require xrays. Dr. Steve wants emphasize the importance of the right diagnosis, too many times we have patients come into our Oakville chiropractic clinic that have been suffering for years because of the wrong diagnosis. Some of the most poorly diagnosed injures are; rib subluxations, plantar fasciitis, Mortons Neuroma and basic low back pain or SI joint injury.
After the history assessment of your injury our chiropractor will move on to the examination, in most cases this is pretty quick due to the fact that if you ask the right questions you get the right answers as to why the injury is the way it is. Our chiropractors are goal oriented medical professionals. Its there job to ask the right questions to make sure the patient gets their desired outcomes. Most patients come in with some sort of pain, but it is not the pain that brought them into the clinic its the inability to complete a task or play a sport or just take care of their children. Dr. Steve and Dr. Jenn make specific goals for every new patient so that they know the treatment is working.
Diagnosis and Chiropractic Treatment
Our chiropractors take the time to get the right diagnosis during the patients initial visit. Too many times we see patients mis-diagnosed and miss valuable treating time to correct their problem. Once a diagnosis is give the chiropractor will go over the fundamentals of treatment and a game plan. Most treatments include, Suction IFC, ART, Instrument Assisted Soft Tissue Treatment, Shockwave Therapy and Chiropractic Adjustments. Dr. Jenn will also include acupuncture in many of her treatment plans. In most cases moist heat will also be applied to the patient to help blood floor and loosen up the injured area for further treatment.
Almost ALL patients will receive treatment their first visit. However, if our chiropractors dont think they can fix your issue or they are not the right person to help you with your pain they will refer you to someone who can help!
IFC (Interferential Current Therapy)
If you have been to the clinic you have probably heard Dr. Steve praise his older IFC machines that are strong and do a far better job than todays cheaper versions. If you really get him going he will show you this picture, of Michael Jordan standing besides his favorite Metter Sys*Stim 220.
We use suction applicators for our IFC machines at our Oakville clinic. These vacuum units are far better than the “sticky pads” and allow for a far superior treatment. The IFC machine is used for pain tolerance, increase blood flow and a unique stimulation of the muslcles that allows for a better overall treatment. What does this mean for the patient? They get better faster and each treatment is more efficient with the layered modality approach.
Moist Heat Application
During the 1o minutes of IFC treatment the patient will have the option for a heat pack. If you have been to the clinic, you have heard Dr. Steve constantly telling patients to ice when they get home. At the clinic we use heat combined with IFC to loosen up the muscle and relax the tissue. This combination works great to prime the injured area for shockwave treatment or a chiropractic adjustment. Don’t like heat? No worries, just tell Laura or Steph.
One of the main things that separate our Oakville chiropractic clinic from any other chiropractic or even physioterphay clinic is Oakville is that we perform shockwave therapy on almost all patients. Shockwave therapy is a pnuematic gun that breaks up scar tissue and promotes new blood vessel growth helping even the most stubborn injury heal faster. Our chiropractic assistants Steph and Laura use shockwave on almost all injuries from Jaws to Low Back and Tennis Elbow to Headaches. Shockwave combined with the moist heat and the IFC help our patients heal faster and get to their tretment goals quicker than other clinics.
Instrument Assisted Soft Tissue Therapy
Some injuries require a little extra loving. Injuries like Tennis Elbow, Plantar Fasciitis or Foot and Ankle injuries like Sinus Tarsi Syndrome and Morton’s Neuroma get the IFC/Heat/Shockwave but need some additional treatment to heal in a time frame that is acceptable for our chiropractors. IASTT uses a “scraper” like tool to break up service adhesions. Dr. Steve says this is the worst in Achilles and plantar fasciitis patients. This treatment is usually done last and ALL patients are recommended to ice when they get home!
Treatment Plans and Expectations
At the end of your initial visit our chiropractors will give you a treatment plan. Treatment plans can vary from once a week for a month to 3 times a week for a month. Every case is different. Every patients goal is different. Our chiropractors recommendations are backs by years of practice. Patients who have been suffering from a pain for a decade will naturally take longer to heal than a patient who just injured themselves. If you follow our expercts recomendaionts you will see improvement faster than most other clinics. If you have any questions about treatment or prognosis do not be afraid to ask!
- Other nutrients from plants (phytonutrients)
A nutritional diet that includes healthy food can be easy to design. Keep in mind the following basic guidelines…
- Eat many different types of healthy food, including a wide variety of fresh vegetables, fruits and whole grains
- Choose lean protein sources such as beans, peas, fish, lean meats, poultry and low-fat dairy products
- Limit your intake of sugar, salt, trans and saturated fats
- Consume alcohol only in moderation
- Drink plenty of water
More Detailed Information On A Nutritional Diet
The basics of a nutritional diet will go a long way towards keeping you healthy. However, knowing more about what’s in your food will help you make smart choices about what to eat. Here is a little more information on nutrition.
- Vitamins, minerals and other nutrients. Healthy foods contain a wide number of nutrients. Both vitamins and minerals are needed by your body to grow and develop normally. Plants also contain other nutrients (phytonutrients), some of which may have cancer-fighting properties or other benefits.
- Superfoods. These special foods contain nutrients that are above and beyond what’s needed to simply keep your body going. Superfoods include leafy greens (such as spinach and kale), tomatoes, chocolate (i.e., dark chocolate with at least 70-percent cacao), blueberries and certain spices, such as turmeric. Each superfood has its own benefits, so be sure to eat a wide variety of them, as often as possible.
- Whole grains. Whole grains include wheat, oats, brown rice, barley, and cornmeal to name a few. They are not processed, or refined. Processed foods may include grains, but they typically include refined grains from which the nutritional value has been leached. Examples of processed foods with refined grains are breads, pasta, cereal, white flour, white rice and cookies. In contrast, whole grains contain important nutrients, including fiber. To get the most health benefits, make sure at least half of your grains and foods that contain grains are whole grains.
- Lean protein sources. Your body needs protein-rich foods to build muscle and carry out many functions in the cells and tissues. Some protein sources do contain high levels of saturated fat that can be bad for your health. To boost your health, look for lean protein sources such as, poultry, seafood, beans, peas (legumes), nuts and seeds.
- Sugar, salt, saturated and trans fats. Many processed foods contain things that can damage your health if eaten in large quantities. Some of these, such as salt, sugar and trans fats, are added to processed foods to change the flavour. Others, such as saturated fats, occur naturally in foods like meat and eggs. To stay as healthy as possible, try to limit your intake of these, opting instead for fresh fruits and vegetables.
- Click The Pages Below To Learn More About:
If you would like to seek professional help or discuss Healthy Eating tips, please contact our chiropractic clinic in Oakville directly at 905-827-4197. Book An Appointment