Suffering with jaw pain or lock jaw? We have the treatment you need!
Why are you having jaw pain and how to fix your TMJ
Learn more about the anatomy of the jaw and the TMJ joint and why it is hurting you. Our Oakville chiropractors, Dr. Steve and Dr. Jenn have had a huge increase in TMJ patients over the Covid-19 pandemic, possibly due to stress, possibly due to masks, possibly due to upper neck issues. If this sounds like you get in and get treated before its too late.
TMJ Treatment and Jaw Pain Treatment Oakville
Jaw pain is more common in Oakville than you think. Our chiropractor, Dr. Steve treats hundreds of TMJ patients in Oakville every year. He has had great success with both preventative and post-surgical treatment. TMJ treatment, although often painful, can show great results after just one treatment.
Now Offering Shockwave Treatment for TMJ
5 Steps to Fixing Your TMJ and Jaw Pain
- We start our TMJ treatment with IFC treatment of the Jaw. Unlike most other body parts at our clinic, for jaw treatment we use sticky pads tapped to the patients face to get the best contact for the current. IFC or Interferential Current Therapy is a form of electrical stimulation. Most body parts it feels like a deep massage. On the jaw its a whole other story, it will feel like a jaw massage, but you will notice you eyes lids closing, your tongue moving and some other fun stuff. During the IFC treatment most patients will get a heat back under their neck as we will be working on their cervical spine too.
- Shockwave Therapy on the Jaw: Shockwave is a pneumatic gun that projects a bullet 15 times a second onto the damaged areas. For jaw treatment we use a completely different applicator head than other body parts. Dr. Steve usually contacts each side of the jaw 600 to 800 times during the shockwave treatment.
- ART and Trigger Point Therapy on the Jaw: After the shockwave, Dr. Steve will use a pair of non-latex gloves to find and press on trigger points in the jaw and facial muscles. He will use a combination of hands on techniques to break up the trigger points while manually moving your jaw.
- Manual Neck Adjustments for TMJ: Once Dr. Steve finishes working on your jaw he turn his focus to your cervical spine. 99% of all TMJ patients have a cervical spine component. Usually, the upper neck muscles get overly tight and the joints of the patients upper neck get stuck. If needed Dr. Steve will adjust the patients neck and perform some Trigger Point therapy or ART on their neck muscles.
- Jaw Stretcher and Dental Block: Most patients will get some neck exercises and jaw exercises to do at home. If you like wine, Dr. Steve will recommended using a wine cork to stretch your jaw. 30 seconds at a time for 5 times a day, working up to 90 seconds of stretching for 10 times a day. If you do not like wine or wine with corks, Dr. Steve will recommend these Jaw Stretchers from Amazon.
What is shockwave therapy for TMJ pain?
Shockwave Therapy is an air compressed bullet (pneumatic gun) that contacts the surface of your skin at a rate of 15 times per second. It helps break up scar tissue and increase blood flow to the masseter muscle and other smaller muscles of your jaw. The applicator is placed (usually) on both sides of your jaw and contacted 600 to 800 times on the muscle. Mild discomfort is to be expected with minimal bruising. Most TMJ shockwave treatments last only a couple minutes and most patients notice a substantial change after just one or two visits and an 80% improvement in under 10 visits.
If you are suffering from jaw pain, lock jaw, unique jaw opening or closing patterns or pain from grinding your teeth book today and get better faster. If you are suffering from upper neck and back stiffness and headaches that you think are coming from your jaw, book in today to let Doctor Steve help or direct you to a person who can. Most TMJ disorder patients feel better after just one visit. 90% of all patients are 80% better in less than 10 visits!
At Home Treatment for TMJ!
The most common at home exercise given by Dr. Steve for TMJ patients is the jaw cork stretch. It’s very basic and easy to do. Get a wine cork, cut it to size if needed, place it upright in-between your teeth and allow the cork to stretch your jaw. Hold stretch for 10 to 60 seconds and repeat 5 to 10 times a day.
Here are some of Dr. Steve’s favourite at home exercises for jaw pain!
TMJ at our Oakville clinic can be diagnosed without any diagnostic tests. If you do have an x-ray or MRI already, please bring in the report so our TMJ treating team can be further informed of your condition.
Symptoms of TMJ Disorders:
- 1. pain on both or one side of the jaw at the TMJ
- 2. general face/jaw pain, usually located just in front of the ear or lower portion of jaw
- 3. discomfort around the ear
- 4. clicking/cracking of the jaw that could be painful.
- 5. Problems opening your mouth completely. Might feel like it get’s stuck. This could be with or without pain
- 6.Headaches with tightness in your jaw area
Severe TMJ disorders can make it difficult to chew your food and sleeping may become painful. Some patients even complain of headaches and neck pain coming from their jaw.
Can a chiropractor treat TMJ? Treatment options for TMJ in Oakville.
Doctor Steve’s treatment is never cookie cutter at our Oakville clinic, but there are some general guidelines we like to go by:
1. If treatment extends beyond the 8th visit without any substantial improvement in pain or Range of Motion Doctor Steve will ask his patient to visit their MD for a second opinion and possibly a set of X-rays or MRI of the Jaw. Most patients need between 6 and 12 visits for 80 percent improvement.
2. Treatment for jaw injuries also include:
- Interferential Current Therapy (IFC)
- Active Release Therapy (ART)
- Hands on Stretching and Mobilization
- Shockwave Therapy
- At home instructions for TMJ Disorder Care
Acupuncture Treatment for TMJ and jaw pain?
Doctor Jenn is our resident acupuncture provider and treats all kinds of injuries with acupuncture including TMJ and lock jaw. If you are looking to get rid of chronic jaw pain and acupuncture is your thing, call the clinic today! Oakville acupuncture for TMJ!
Stuck with Jaw Pain in Oakville?